College Virtual Open Day
Welcome to our Virtual Open Day web page!
We'd have loved to welcome you on site to show you around and meet you in person, but we hope the content on this page gives you a taste of life at Moor House.
Don't miss our live online presentation and Q&A on Thursday 11th February at 0930 GMT.
If you have any questions there will be an opportunity to ask at the end of the live presentation highlighted above, or please contact us via our enquiry form.
We work in collaboration with our partner colleges to offer a greater breadth of vocational curriculum to our students.
Our partners deliver the vocational course curriculum, including theory and practical sessions in specific subject areas.
Specialist Teaching Assistants (STA's) provide off site support to students including:
- Note taking
- Ensuring understanding and supporting students to manage their workload
- Support social interaction with college peers and staff
- Support development of life skills including organisational skills, money handling, food choices and travel
Provision for college students at Moor House includes supportive study, such as assistance with homework and assignments, time management and proof reading.
Curriculum content includes additional functional life skills lessons in English and Maths, weekly PSHE sessions and GCSE re-sits in English and Maths where appropriate.
A Collaborative Approach
Collaborative working plays an integral role in the support of our students’ learning.
Lesson notes, assignment briefs and homework tasks are shared with all members of our Multi Disciplinary Team (MDT). This allows all staff to support student learning.
Therapy provision includes Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy. Fee banded services also include:
- Additional Occupational Therapy
Speech and Language Therapy
Students receive direct, intensive and integrated speech and language therapy intervention, support and advice.
- Weekly Individual and/or paired therapy sessions
- Weekly small therapy groups targeting areas of specific language skills
- Weekly small groups focusing on social communication
- Specialist training, advice and support to all staff working with MHC students
Moor House employs an extensive and highly specialist team of onsite Occupational Therapists (OTs) and Occupational Therapy Assistants (OTAs).
Our programme of support includes:
- Integrated model of life skills linked to the WHEEL OF INDEPENDENCE ™ FRAMEWORK
- Travel practice in accordance with Moor House School & College Independence Travel Pass
- Access to the Alert Programme and monitoring of alertness during academic study time
- OTA support in Residential Care time
- Touch typing support
- Support at link college in practical lessons as needed